2023 Fall English Writing Class (AP English Language and Composition)
Time: Saturday 1:45-3:15pm
Date: 9/23-12/16/2023(no class on 11/25/2023)
The class focuses on developing students' critical thinking, reading, and writing skills. Here's a summary of what you can expect in an AP English Language class:
- Reading and Analyzing Texts: Students read a variety of challenging texts, including non-fiction essays, articles, speeches, and literary works. They learn to analyze these texts for their rhetorical strategies, argumentative techniques, and overall effectiveness.
- Writing Essays: A significant part of the course involves essay writing. Students are taught how to craft persuasive, argumentative, and analytical essays. They learn to support their arguments with evidence from the texts they've studied.
- Rhetorical Analysis: The course emphasizes the study of rhetoric—the art of persuasion. Students learn to identify and analyze rhetorical devices and strategies used by authors and speakers to convey their messages.
- Synthesis: Students are often required to synthesize information from multiple sources to form their arguments. This involves integrating ideas and evidence from different texts into a cohesive essay.
- Research Skills: AP English Language students develop strong research skills, including how to conduct effective research, evaluate sources, and cite them properly in their writing.
- Language and Style: The class also delves into the nuances of language, examining word choice, tone, and style to understand how they contribute to the effectiveness of a text.
- Test Preparation: The course is often designed to prepare students for the AP English Language and Composition exam, which includes multiple-choice questions, rhetorical analysis essays, and argumentative essays.
- Critical Thinking: AP English Language fosters critical thinking skills by challenging students to question assumptions, evaluate evidence, and construct well-reasoned arguments.
- Writing Process: Students learn about the writing process, from prewriting and drafting to revision and editing, to improve the quality of their essays.