2024 Spring English Writing Class (College Prep Writers)
Time: Saturday 2:45 - 4:15pm
Date: 1/6/2024 - 6/8/2024(no class on 2/10/2024, 3/30/2024, 5/25/2024)
This College Prep Essay Writing class aims to provide students with an overview of the various types of essays they are likely to encounter in college. The course is structured to help them develop the essential skills required for successful essay writing. Here's a summary of the class:
1.Understanding College-Level Essays:
- The class begins by explaining the different types of essays students may encounter in college, including reader response essays and research-oriented essays.
- Students gain insight into the expectations and requirements of college-level essay assignments.
2.Assessment of Writing Skills:
- After the initial overview, students are given a writing prompt, akin to college essay prompts, to write a one-page essay. This serves to assess their current writing skills and allows the instructor to gauge their individual abilities.
3.Sentence Construction and Variety:
- Following the writing assessment, the class includes exercises focused on sentence construction and variety.
- Students learn the importance of using different sentence patterns to enhance clarity and emphasize key points in their writing.
4.Introduction to Basic Composition Modes:
- The course introduces students to fundamental modes of composition. These modes serve as organizing principles for their essays.
- This section emphasizes the value of having a clear structure and organization in their writing.
5.Discussion on Essay Types:
- The class concludes with a discussion about two essay types:Personal/Autobiographical Essay: Students are guided on how to approach personal essays, encouraging self-reflection and storytelling.
- Research/Project Essay: Students learn about the research process and how to incorporate findings from various sources into their essays.